ABBY GORDON

ABBY GORDON

Monday, September 5, 2016

Blizzard of Inspiration

This past January a blizzard shut down the East Coast for a few days. My plan had been to work on an idea that had been spinning in my mind since Christmas. When I woke up though, something entirely different had taken over. Allura and Barden were the little voices in my head and gave me a rush of images - I saw Alice and Tre in the backseat of the car, him coming into her classroom to propose, Bessie in the wine cellar, Chance remembering his sisters, Darcy and Tina finding Hank and Jake in the fields, and everything else.
I've learned to listen to the voices and write what they tell me. And in one day I had Alice and Tre's story roughed out - nearly 10k words, plus the rest of the characters, their stories and the purpose of the series (which is revealed in book four - Tina and Jake's story), and the finale in the eighth book.
I was a bit blurry-eyed when I sent it off to Angela, my editor and amazing cover artist from the beginning. But she liked it and off we went.

No comments:

Post a Comment